Online Birth Control
Since first hitting shelves in the 1960’s—the same decade the women’s liberation movement kicked off in the U.S.—“the pill” was an immediate commercial success. Oral birth control quickly became a symbol of female independence and continues to be among the most popular forms of female contraception currently available. With significant advances in the science of sexual contraceptives taking place over the last 50 years, it’s estimated now that up to 60% percent of all women who are of childbearing age use some type of birth control to prevent pregnancy. Despite advances in birth control implants, millions of women continue to choose oral birth control pills because they are affordable, easy to get, safe and effective—in addition to common health benefits, like treating acne and preventing ovarian cysts, oral birth control also has relatively limited side effects.
Benefits of Ordering Birth Control Online
Ordering birth control online is easier and more affordable than going to a traditional doctor or Planned Parenthood clinic. Your online doctor will make the same recommendations based on medical history as you would experience at an in-person assessment, but the option of which birth control to try is always your choice.
Low Cost - By matching brand name birth control with generically available prescriptions, you pay the lowest cost available—always.
No Consultation Fees - Choosing a birth control for the first time can be overwhelming. Knowing that you will get all the medical help you need without any hidden fees makes the process of selecting the best oral birth control option as painless as possible.
Free Delivery - Once you and your doctor decide on the oral birth control option that’s right for you, wisp mails your prescription to your home for free.
Never Miss A Day - Every birth control option that wisp provides comes with a standard 90 day (3 month) supply so you will always have your prescription on hand before you run out,
Types of Online Birth Control Pills
Many women first become familiar with the different types of birth control options available after hearing what brand-name a friend is taking. Today, most popular brand-name birth control options are available “generically” at a significantly reduced price. Using the brand-name to find a more affordable generic version of the same birth control is a great way to find the lowest cost birth control online—and to avoid confusion. However, given that there are so many birth control options available, always compare the active ingredients to verify your prescription is what you think it is.
The active ingredients in birth control pills are synthetic versions of two common hormones, estrogen and progestin, that are naturally produced in your body. Finding the best birth control option may take a few tries—be patient and listen to what your body needs. As bodies change over time, it’s common to switch to a new birth control formula that supports a different facet of lifestyle and pregnancy prevention.
While there are dozens of daily brand-name birth control options to choose from, here is a rundown of the the most common oral birth control types:
- Combination Pills: This popular style of oral birth control combines the hormones estrogen and progestin into a single pill. Take 1 pill daily at the same time to help regulate your menstrual cycle and prevent pregnancy.
- Extended Cycle Pills: This option combines the same hormones estrogen and progestin, but is designed to promote extended menstrual cycles, i.e. less frequent periods. Extended cycle pills are often referred to as a “lifestyle option,” and popular among athletes and other professionals who wish to minimize menstrual symptoms.
- Progestin-Only Pills: You may have heard progestin-only birth control called the “minipill,” because this oral birth control only uses one hormone: progestin. Progestin is a synthetic version of the hormone, progesterone. When taken daily, progestin-only birth control prevents pregnancy and reduces common side-effects that you may experience with other combination birth controls.
- Low Dose Birth Control: As the name suggests, low-dose birth control delivers a lower amount of hormones. Despite delivering a lower dose of hormones, this style of birth control is still very effective at preventing pregnancy, and many women report fewer unpleasant side effects.
- Emergency Contraception: Unlike daily oral birth control, emergency contraception is used following any instance of unprotected sex where you suspect contraceptive failure, i.e. condom breaking or missing a day of birth control. The sooner you take emergency contraception, the better it will work. In general, the 2 most common options are Plan B or Ella. Plan B is available over the counter without a prescription and works if taken up to 72 hours, while Ella requires a doctor’s prescription, but can be taken up to 5 days after contraceptive failure.
How to Choose the Best Birth Control Pill?
Choosing the best birth control pill for your body may mean trying out several different prescriptions before committing to one in the long term. When you are looking to switch your birth control prescription online, many factors will be taken into consideration by your online doctor, such as:
- Prior health history
- Lifestyle (smoking, BMI)
- Medication preference (low hormone)
- Severity of PMS symptoms
When trying a new prescription birth control, listen to your body and never ignore any new physical symptoms. If something feels off, tell your doctor!
Combination Birth Control Pills
Wisp’s combination birth control pills are a generic blend of the two hormones, estrogen and progestin. These generic prescriptions are as effective as name brand pills, but only cost a fraction of the price. Combination birth control pills are trusted contraceptives and work by preventing pregnancy in 3 ways:
- The first one is relatively simple: sperm is prevented from reaching the egg to achieve fertilization. This is achieved by thickening the mucus that lines the walls of the cervix.
- Other times, hormones are used to suppress ovulation. By preventing eggs from releasing, they cannot be fertilized.
- Finally, certain birth controls work by thinning the uterus’ lining so a fertilized egg cannot implant.
The Four Types of Combination Birth Control Pills
Combination birth control options come in several common options: conventional, monophasic, extended cycle and multiphasic.
Conventional combination birth control pills are made of the two hormones progestin and estrogen. Taken daily, a conventional combination birth control pack generally contains 3 weeks of “active” pills and 1 week of “inactive” pills. In general, you will get your period during the week of taking the inactive pills.
Monophasic combination birth control pills contain an equal amount of the hormones estrogen and progestin.
Multiphasic combination birth control pills work by delivering varying combinations of the hormones progestin and estrogen in order to mimic the natural hormone cycle.
When taken regularly (as directed), combination birth control is 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. Inconsistencies such as missing a day or taking the pill at different times each day can cause combination birth control to be less effective. If there is any doubt about consistency or schedule, consider using a backup contraceptive method, like a condom or emergency contraception after unprotected sex (Plan B or Ella).
Common Benefits of Combination Birth Control
Many women taking combination birth control experience the following changes:
- Improved acne
- Less significant PMS symptoms
- Lighter more regular periods (shorter)
- Less-painful menstrual cramps
- Reducing risk of ovarian cysts and cyst-related ovarian cancer
Possible Side Effects of Combination Birth Control
Finding the best combination birth control for your body may require several attempts. The following symptoms may be an indication you should try a different combination pill:
- Weight gain
- Tenderness (breast)
- Heavy or irregular menstruation
- Increased risk for heart attack, stroke or blood clots
- High-cost can also be a factor in choosing the appropriate combination birth control. Choosing a generic birth control formula provides the same benefits at a greatly reduced price.
Similarly, access to birth control can prove difficult depending on your location and lifestyle. Ordering birth control online with wisp allows women to receive a 3 month supply automatically, making it less common to experience gaps in your treatment.