Just a few years ago, meeting with a doctor through a screen or setting up a virtual appointment online still felt a little like science fiction — a mysterious journey into the unknown. How could you know if it would be as effective as seeing a doctor in person? The COVID-19 pandemic has changed a lot about our lives—flying, shopping, and socializing, to name a few. One benefit is that many of us experienced our first virtual healthcare visit, and it felt like a new normal! In March 2020, before COVID-19 fully hit the US, just 19.5% of patients used telehealth to see a doctor. In March of 2021, that number jumped to just over 61%! Wisp has grown too; we’ve expanded access to our online sexual and reproductive healthcare to all 50 US states, and have more patients now than ever before. With lots of patients come lots of questions:
“How does wisp work?”
“How do I get my meds?”
“What about insurance?”
“Why did it take so long for this service to exist?”
We’re breaking down everything you need to know about wisp step by step right here.
Why we do what we do
Sexual health concerns like herpes, vaginal infections, and STIs are some of the most common health concerns in the US, but many of us put off seeking treatment for them. There are a number of reasons why:
- Lack of access to a doctor
- Embarrassment or fear of judgment and stigma
- Difficulty getting to an appointment due to work, child care, and/or transportation challenges
- Lack of health insurance
That means millions of us are living with unpleasant symptoms which impact our health and prevent us from living our fullest lives. Wisp expands access to treatment so no matter where you live, or what stage of life you’re at, you can have a board-certified, US-licensed doctor right in your pocket. We aim to keep treatment affordable without insurance in order to serve as many patients as possible, and we give you the option to have your medication delivered free or sent to your local pharmacy to customize care that fits your lifestyle. Plus, we never judge — in fact, we use our platform to normalize conversations about sexual health and empower you with the knowledge you need to live your best (sex) life.
How wisp works
Our goal is to make it as easy and straightforward as possible for you to get effective treatment for common sexual health concerns, wherever you are.
1) Choose your meds
2) Your information is reviewed by a doctor
3) Pick up your meds same-day or have them delivered free
If you need a prescription, but can’t get to the doctor in person, we connect you with a provider who can review your symptoms online and prescribe the appropriate medication the same day. If you’re experiencing the symptoms of an outbreak, STI, or vaginal infection, you want to get relief fast—we make speed a top priority in getting you treatment. 95% of wisp patients have their meds sent to the pharmacy within a few hours.
If you’re looking for supportive or preventative over-the-counter care, we’ve got you covered there too! All of our treatments for preventing infections or outbreaks can be ordered with free delivery to your doorstep and can be taken alongside your prescription meds to boost your recovery time.
Not sure exactly what you need, or looking for advice from a doctor? Start with our Symptoms Quiz, or schedule a virtual consult with wispcare, where you can ask questions and discuss any symptoms you are experiencing with a doctor. They’ll be able to evaluate you and let you know what your next treatment steps should be.
How you can use wisp
We believe you’re the expert when it comes to your body. Wisp is just a handy resource you can use to best serve your sexual and reproductive health, whatever that may look like.
- One-time order — One and done. Order the prescription meds or OTC treatment you need just once, whenever you need it.
- Subscription — Experience recurrent or periodic infections or outbreaks? You can subscribe to your favorite treatment for regular deliveries, or stock up so you always have what you need in your medicine cabinet.
- Wispcare — Our wispcare program comes with doctor consults included so you can chat with a doctor about your symptoms. Wispcare basic includes 2 free wispcare consults per year with an active quarterly subscription for BV, UTI, Yeast Infection, Cold Sores, Genital Herpes, Birth Control or Emergency Contraception. Wispcare unlimited is just what it sounds like — unlimited consults all year, whenever you need care. If you are on the road, we’ll call in your prescription to a local pharmacy, same-day!
- OTC treatment — Our over-the-counter options provide that “lil somethin’ extra” to help prevent problems before they start. Work them into your regular routine for year-round protection, or use them just when you know you might need an immune boost (like before that big party weekend).
- Intimate care — Our newest care line is a way for you to treat yourself with products that are body safe and specially-formulated to soothe your most sensitive skin. Right now we’ve got smooth and silky Harmonizing Lube to keep things easy and pain-free in the bedroom, but there’s more to come ;)
Mix and match our different offerings so you get what you need, right when you need it.
Can I use insurance?
Our services and pricing vary based on the needs of each patient. Primary care access, included with subscription, is priced to provide access for anyone who needs access to a doctor regardless of insurance. If you have insurance, depending on your plan, it may be possible to bill insurance specifically for your meds. If you have an HSA (Health Savings Account) or FSA (Flexible Spending Account), many of wisp’s options are eligible! The following wisp services are HSA or FSA eligible:
- Prescription medication
- Over the counter remedies
- Doctor consults
Typically, FSA and HSA funds are used to pay personal medical costs (including lab work), or for any immediate family members, such as children or a spouse. If you do have an insurance plan, you can use your HSA and FSA to pay any out-of-pocket copayments, coinsurance, or deductibles.
We also offer your first month free for first-time subscribers — no promo code necessary. The cost of 1 month’s meds is subtracted from the quarterly total and applied directly at checkout.
Got more questions? We’re always here to help! Follow us on IG @hellowisp for healthy conversation and hot tips about your sexual health and wellness (send a DM if you’re feeling spicy 🥰).