Genital Herpes is more common than you think! 1 in 8 people are affected by HSV-2, the herpes simplex virus primarily responsible for genital herpes infections.
Although herpes is not curable, outbreaks can be easily managed with the right treatment (and no, your sex life isn’t over—more on that later).
Genital herpes can be a little complex so let’s cover some basics. There are two types of herpes viruses that differ in symptoms, complications, and treatment:
- HSV type 1 (HSV-1) is transmitted by oral-to-oral contact and causes infection in or around the mouth (oral herpes or cold sores), but this virus can also cause genital herpes.
- HSV-2 is mainly sexually transmitted and primarily causes genital herpes, but can also cause cold sores in rare cases.
Both oral and genital herpes are often asymptomatic and many people don’t know they have the virus, but it can cause painful blisters or ulcers at the site of infection, ranging from mild to severe. While the infection can never be cured, there are genital herpes medications available to treat the severity and frequency of outbreaks.
If you’re experiencing any of the following for the first time, you’re probably dealing with a herpes outbreak:
- A grouping of painful blisters on your genitals, the vulva or cervix, the penis and testicles, or around the anus and thigh area. These blisters can be itchy and if they break open, they can cause painful urination.
- Flu-like symptoms like such as fever, body aches, and fatigue.
The severity of outbreaks will change over a lifetime, with the initial episode generally being the most physically painful and emotionally difficult. Prescription medication makes managing genital outbreaks easy and effective. When taken at the earliest sign of symptoms, an outbreak can be all but non-existent. Modern genital herpes medications are also designed to help so you never have to worry about another outbreak.
How to treat genital herpes?
The good news is that wisp offers quick and easy access to genital herpes treatment for treating AND preventing cold sore outbreaks. Depending on your symptoms or preference, there are three ways to manage cold sores:
What is acute genital herpes treatment?
The first sign of an outbreak often feels like a slight tingle in the genital area—once you feel it, you’ll know it when it appears again. Taking genital herpes medication right when you feel this tingle can shorten the length of your outbreak and help make it less painful. If you have less than six episodes a year, then your treatment plan may be episodic (taking medicine only when you feel an outbreak coming on). There are two genital herpes medications that can help during this phase:
- Valacyclovir is an oral prescription antiviral that can be taken daily.
- Acyclovir comes as a pill or a cream that is taken twice a day.
Both medications should be taken from the first sign until the outbreak is gone. To request acute cold sore treatment, begin by requesting a prescription for cold sore antivirals. After signing up for wisp, your consult will begin immediately. Simply answer a few quick questions online and a US-based physician will review and prescribe treatment if it is considered safe and appropriate.
You may also want to treat painful symptoms while you wait for your antiviral treatment to kick in. Lidocaine Pain Cream targets cold sore pain quickly so you can feel more comfortable while your medication takes effect.
Genital Herpes Prescription Treatment:
- Acyclovir Episodic Treatment Guide
- Valacyclovir Episodic Treatment Guide
- Acyclovir Suppressive Treatment Guide
- Valacyclovir 500mg Suppressive Treatment Guide
- Valacyclovir 1000mg Suppressive Treatment Guide
- Acyclovir Cream Treatment Guide
- Lidocaine-Amitryptiline Treatment Guide
What is genital herpes prevention?
In some cases, you may deal with frequent outbreaks, especially if you’re stressed. You may also be concerned about passing the herpes virus to a partner during an outbreak, or even when you have no signs. Taking genital herpes medication regularly can reduce the chance of passing on the virus and suppress future outbreaks. For suppressive treatment, Valacyclovir and Acyclovir can also be used. This genital herpes medication will help with immediate outbreaks and fight the virus in your system to limit future occurrences.
How to cure genital herpes at home with holistic treatment?
Herpes can’t be cured—you will carry the virus throughout your lifetime. However, outbreaks can be managed. Herpes outbreaks are closely tied to how well your immune system is doing at managing the virus in your system on its own. If you’ve been feeling stressed, tired, or sick, your immune defenses are probably lowered (which is why you may find yourself experiencing outbreaks at inconvenient times like before a big exam or when you’re especially stressed at work). Providing your body with immune support can help your health holistically and help prevent breakouts:
- All-Natural AV Herbals: These supplements use herbs with natural antiviral properties to boost your immune system and keep outbreaks at bay. Incorporate them into your everyday routine to support whole body health or take them when you first feel an outbreak coming on to reduce the length and severity of the outbreak.
- L-Lysine: L-Lysine is a naturally occurring amino acid that works by blocking the amino acid (arginine) that is responsible for multiplying the herpes virus. When used consistently, L-Lysine will block arginine and help prevent outbreaks from happening.
You can use these over-the-counter supplements in conjunction with prescription antivirals to help manage your cold sores and reduce symptoms. If you experience frequent outbreaks, talk to your doctor about what treatments and routines may work best for you.
Final thoughts on genital herpes treatment
Treating genital herpes from home is as simple as selecting the treatment(s) you would like to begin. Wisp will package your meds and ship them directly to your front door (for free) without the need for a trip to the pharmacy or an awkward doctor’s visit. If you need prescription treatment even faster, simply select the product you would like at checkout and choose to pick up your prescription from a local pharmacy the same day!