Cold sores, also known as oral herpes, are incredibly common—over half of all people are living with HSV-1, the virus that causes cold sores. They can affect anyone, and most infections occur during childhood via adoring kisses from relatives and family friends.
Although herpes isn’t curable, it’s easily manageable with the right treatment.
If you’re experiencing any of the following for the first time, you’re probably dealing with a cold sore outbreak:
- Painful blisters on your mouth, lips, nose and throat
- These blisters can break open and scab
- These blisters can cause pain in the throat and in the mouth itself
- The neck can begin to swell and hurt
- Flu-like symptoms like such as fever, body aches, and fatigue
Many of these signs and symptoms can last up to 12 days. This can be a painful couple weeks if you’re dealing with symptoms, but there are cold sore medications that can help treat cold sores both internally and topically. Modern cold sore medications are also designed to help so you never have to worry about another outbreak.
How to treat cold sores?
The good news is that wisp offers quick and easy access to cold sore treatment for treating AND preventing cold sore outbreaks. Depending on your symptoms or preference, there are three ways to manage cold sores:
- Acute Treatment
- Preventative Treatment
- Holistic Treatment
What is acute cold sore treatment?
The first sign of an outbreak often feels like a slight tingle on the lips—once you feel it, you’ll know it when it appears again. Taking cold sore medication right when you feel this tingle can shorten the length of your outbreak and help make it less painful. If you have less than six episodes a year, then your treatment plan may be episodic (taking medicine only when you feel an outbreak coming on). There are two cold sore medications that can help during this phase:
- Valacyclovir is an oral prescription antiviral that can be taken daily
- Acyclovir comes as a pill or a cream that is taken twice a day
- Both medications should be taken from the first sign until the outbreak is gone
To request acute cold sore treatment, begin by requesting a prescription for cold sore antivirals. After signing up for wisp, your consult will begin immediately. Simply answer a few quick questions online and a US-based physician will review and prescribe treatment if it is considered safe and appropriate.
You may also want to treat painful symptoms while you wait for your antiviral treatment to kick in. Lidocaine Pain Cream targets cold sore pain quickly so you can feel more comfortable while your medication takes effect.
Cold Sores Prescription Treatment
- Acyclovir Episodic Treatment Guide
- Valacyclovir Episodic Treatment Guide
- Acyclovir Suppressive Treatment Guide
- Valacyclovir 500mg Suppressive Treatment Guide
- Valacyclovir 1000mg Suppressive Treatment Guide
- Acyclovir Cream Treatment Guide
- Lidocaine-Amitryptiline Treatment Guide
What is cold sore prevention?
In some cases, you may deal with frequent outbreaks, especially if you’re stressed. You may also be concerned about passing the cold sore virus to a partner during an outbreak, or even when you have no signs. Taking cold sore medication regularly can reduce the chance of passing on the virus and suppress future outbreaks. For suppressive treatment, Valacyclovir and Acyclovir can also be used. This cold sore medication will help with immediate outbreaks and fight the virus in your system to limit future occurrences.
How to cure cold sores at home with holistic treatment?
Cold sores can’t be cured—you will carry the virus throughout your lifetime. However, outbreaks can be managed. Outbreaks are closely tied to how well your immune system is doing at managing the virus in your system on its own. If you’ve been feeling stressed, tired, or sick, your immune defenses are probably lowered (which is why you may find yourself experiencing outbreaks at inconvenient times like before a big exam or when you’re especially stressed at work). Providing your body with immune support can help your health holistically and help prevent breakouts:
- All-Natural AV Herbals: These supplements use herbs with natural antiviral properties to boost your immune system and keep outbreaks at bay. Incorporate them into your everyday routine to support whole body health or take them when you first feel an outbreak coming on to reduce the length and severity of the outbreak.
- L-Lysine: L-Lysine is a naturally occurring amino acid that works by blocking the amino acid (arginine) that is responsible for multiplying the herpes virus. When used consistently, L-Lysine will block arginine and help prevent outbreaks from happening.
You can use these over-the-counter supplements in conjunction with prescription antivirals to help manage your cold sores and reduce symptoms. If you experience frequent outbreaks, talk to your doctor about what treatments and routines may work best for you.
Final thoughts on cold sore treatment
Treating cold sores from home is as simple as selecting the treatment(s) you would like to begin. Wisp will package your meds and ship them directly to your front door (for free) without the need for a trip to the pharmacy or an awkward doctor’s visit. If you need prescription treatment even faster, simply select the product you would like at checkout and choose to pick up your prescription from a local pharmacy the same day!